Baldah Garden is the oldest Botanical Garden in Bengal, and was established privately by the owner of the Baldah Estate, the poet Narendra Narayan Roy Chaudhury in 1909, on what was then his own land. It is filled with approximately 15,000 plants, representing 650 different exotic and rare species, sourced from over 50 countries from around the world.
Although relatively small in size its layout consists of many joining avenues and walkways, which present the numerous differing species to their best advantage.
The large waterlily pond, the centre focal point with spectacular steps leading to the edge of the water, is a wonderful place to stop for a while, relaxing on one of the exotic mosaic seats.
Surprisingly the bustle and noise, just behind the old wall surrounding Badlah Garden, was muted, absorbed a little by the concentration of this rich collection, creating a mini oasis in the middle of the usual chaos of Dhaka city.
The stone and mosaic seating were very welcoming, offering a cool and shaded place to rest, allowing the hectic pace of city life to slow down for a brief moment or two.